View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Thanks for the advice and the support, friends!

It is fascinating to learn about myself as I go through recovery! I’ve always been quite proud of my endurance and my mental “toughness” (heck, even my username is Tough!!) But it turns out when my body feels bad, my brain tags right along with it!

And today that brain was trying to talk me into a quick fix for pain. Which is ridiculous because it’s how this whole mess started! I worked really hard, I hurt, and I justified taking pain meds because of my hard work. I needed meds so that I could continue to work hard. Breaking out of that cycle requires that I address what is causing the pain, rather than masking it. I’ve got to root this out, not just trim off a few dangling branches to make everything look better.

This process is exhausting and exhilarating. I really appreciate all of the solid advice you’ve given. A massage is a good idea, indeed, and the physical therapist videos have very helpful information, too. I’m planning to soak in a hot bath, rub in some aspercreme, and apply an ice-pack this evening.

Thanks for your support! Learning how to deal with this stuff sober is hard!
-TC