View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 11:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hen1

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Yes, this happens.

He does need money, can't drink in a moneyless vacuum! Generally, addicts (who are not too far gone to) will keep up with work or business. My Father was an alcoholic, he drank all his life but he worked a very responsible job until retirement.

His first wife (and 3 children) left him and My Mother and we 3 siblings left him - so you see it's not personal.

He needs alcohol. He won't quit until he is ready to and not a moment before. Some people can juggle job/addiction/family - some can't, most can't from what I have seen. Something falls apart and it's usually the family/relationships, not because they aren't important but because the alcohol is running the show.

Relationships take emotional investment/thoughtfulness/putting someone else first sometimes, jobs don't (generally) that's another difference.

very good point. It appears that his family had to take over his initial businesses owing to a previous "bender". How I managed to gloss over that fact I don't know, but he had seemed so incontrol of his life now and I didnt ask for more info or have any real awareness of drinking problems. But it must have gotten bad. His family relationships seem very cold and perhaps this is cos they are used to problems. I just thought they were cold people and felt sorry for him for thid

I guess I'm still slowly putting 2 and 2 together.