View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 05:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
velma929

You know, as normies have a couple things going against us.

We may not have experienced or witnessed this growing up, so we're trying to decipher the addict's behavior and rationalize it like we would a normal person's. Or we may have grown up with an addict or two in our sphere, but other people bore the brunt of his or her bad behavior.

And we (or at least I) grew up in a time when this was being examined more closely as a mental health issue, and imbued us with the idea, "S/he's an addict. It's not his fault. It's different." Two of those sentences are true. There are addicts, and it isn't their fault they're addicts. However, poor treatment is poor treatment, it isn't different because the person is an alcoholic. We can debate endlessly over whether someone's attempt at sobriety is sincere or not, but that doesn't change how we're being treated.

This is the forum where I learned I couldn't change my husband. The lessons apply everywhere, though. I can't change my boss, I can do work-arounds. I can look for a new job. One of the most satisfying 'stay in my own lane' moments was keeping my mouth shut about a window display and having our store win the Christmas window contest.

I can't change my current man-friend (a borderline hoarder). Badgering him to get rid of stuff he never looks at is fruitless. I can set boundaries about how much space the hoard occupies. I can take an inventory of my own stuff and donate/ Freecycle/ use Facebook marketplace to create more order in my home.