Thread: Help.
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 12:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
trailmix

You know one thing I think of sometimes when I read posts on this forum (and I don't mean yours in particular) is "be careful what you wish for". So many here wish their SO would just get sober, then they could see more of that nice person they get a glimpse of every now and then.

An alcoholic is not two people a "nice" person and a "mean" person. It is one person.

You can't tell what they will be like if/when they put the drink down, you just can't. It's not a separation of this great! person from this mean/abusive person (assuming they were). The person you put up with all the crap from, hey, that's part of him.

Now, how much is alcohol that creates the selfish/self-centered etc person and how much is inherently part of their personality, you can't know - heck they can't know, if they have been drinking for many years.

Plus, years of drinking, of acting certain ways, certain behaviours becomes part of the way they are, even if their personality/motives/way of being was different before they started drinking, I mean how can it not? If you have been selfish and abusive for the 15 years you were drinking, you don't become a saint overnight.

So whether he is truly sober or has anhedonia or this is just "him" now, an incredibly self centered individual - no way to tell. But he isn't the drinker who could squelch all his demons anymore. That's where the recovery part comes in and he's obviously no where near that.

I'm sorry if this sounds negative, I really am. I know you are incredibly hurt and I completely understand why.