View Single Post
Old 03-26-2022, 12:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
advbike

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post
I am trying to reflect on why we do these things. What is it that we try to fill. It cannot be hunger (the same way we do not drink 8 beers due to thirst). One of my worst traits is constant projection, so I am probably projecting here too. I think I have a real issue with never getting to a place of contentment and that I try to cover up with 'excessive' behaviour in different areas of my life, but as i said too, this was just a bit of random thought sharing.
I have the same thing, BackandScared, an emotional void that I have been trying to fill my entire adult life with booze, food, cars, motorcycles, homes, relationships, geographic moves, adventure travel and more.. I am never really content. Even when I was sober for over three years it did nothing to dent that void and my ego was in complete control, which finally led to my relapse in 2017. I did have a pretty traumatic childhood with a lot of emotional pain, and feel this is really a spiritual problem in it's essence, certainly not just an alcohol problem. Of course quitting alcohol or any other addictive substance allows us to start making the spiritual changes necessary to calm that discontent.

I highly recommend In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, by Dr. Gabor Mate which discusses this emotional void in the context of addiction, and early childhood trauma or abuse.

Hodd, like you I'm pretty fit, but 10-15 lbs over ideal weight, and BMI 27.. every time I make gains and drop a few pounds I overindulge on a huge meal out or some good bread from the local (award winning) bread bakery... or buying a six pack of those dang San Pellegrinos..