Old 03-23-2022, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Thank you, all. I read through each of your comments multiple times to get into my head. I agree it is a big risk and I will think through if I can call sick. If not, I will have an exit plan as Nez & Dee indicated.

@Bimini, This is not a new job. Everyone knows there I drink and stay until the end. I just have to be ready with something to say this time like "I am on Antibiotics". I won't say I had my fair share since that will make them doubt if I am having problems with alcohol.

BackandScared, Great questions. Not sure if I am ready. What will happen when all my friends grab a bottle of beer? I am not sure but I will not drink.
Here's the problem with lies: "I'm on antibiotics."

"Really? What are the antibiotics for?"

...a month goes by. There's another drinking opportunity...can't really use antibiotics as an excuse forever and You will know you're lying. That's not a good feeling.

Why not just say something honest that doesn't go into too much detail. "I feel a lot better when I don't drink," or, "I'm trying to improve my health, or, "I'm driving," or, "I don't want a drink tonight," or, "I have things to do after this, and don't want to have been drinking."

There are lots of honest replies that won't dig you into a hole.

I bet they already know you have a problem with alcohol. I wouldn't use that as any kind of a fear (excuse.) They don't live in your body.

I also agree with the observation that no one really cares and, "What people think of me is none of my business."