View Single Post
Old 03-18-2022, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post

Recovery for me was more about finding my strengths and improving on them, and one of the first strengths I found was my ability to commit to life long abstinence. I didn't need to analyze the depths of my failure as an addict or a human being to do that. Good God, that was the continual It was the epitome of "well duh!!??" And knowing that became the foundation for actual change. I was the only one who could make that happen, and embracing actual change was the only way to do that.
DriGuy, this was precisely what I needed to read this am. Thank you. I strongly identify with the “relief” of abstinence as the only option, and it is very helpful for me to think of that as one of my strengths!

I’m good with admitting my powerlessness in this arena! One drink/tablet = bad idea was an equation that I tried to change MANY times without success. Accepting the truth of the equation has brought peace back into my mind.

I couldn’t stop ALONE, but I could (can) stop. As my head clears, I think it will be useful to focus on what I’d like to start next!

Thanks again!
-TC