View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
advbike

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Good stuff!

I will add my experience.
I too found I did not like the "real" fish . So I fought and fought to become the guy I think I should be with not much improvement to be honest.

Well after A LOT of struggle, self reflection, thinking and taking cues from others I found out I AM that guy. I can't believe I couldn't see it.
Years, decades, of chemical poisoning and self doubt blinded me to who I REALLY was. Even newly sober I didn't see him.
I only saw the things I did not like about him.

I speak for myself but I can't be alone in this. Maybe we just can't see the real us. Even sober sometimes.
Sometimes we need to just lower our expectations. I thought I had to do everything perfect. Be in superb physical condition. Mentally sharp at all times. Etc. I should be without flaws. After all I am no longer a drunk so what is the problem?
Well that just is not possible.

I am in good shape for 52yo. Most times I can form a coherent sentence. Sometimes I even do something right the 1st time. I try to give my best. I am not drunk.

Do I really not like being that guy?
WTH was I thinking?

If you don't like who you are and you are sober look deeper. Chances are it is just that old drunken self doubt blinding you.
Great post, Fish. That was my experience as well. I beat myself up so much I couldn't see it.. but others could.

And thanks to Mr Pl for the great thread starter, things usually did feel worse after awhile. It takes time to become comfortable in our own skin.