Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stacey4

new- my husbands recovering but isn't better

Okay, I am new TONIGHT! So here goes,

My husband of 6 years was addicted to Rx pain meds and he was drinking with the pills. He was doing way more than I knew about. HE LIED and LIED and LIED! This has been going on a year this month. He lost his job because of it. I never knew the 1/2 of it! Then finally in Nov. things got so bad I couldn't trust him with our two little boys (2 and 4yrs). I work as a teacher and he stays home with the boys. SO, I called his parents told them to deal with him, I couldn't babysit him any longer! I kicked him out and told him to go to rehab or leave forever. After two days of "thinking" he went to inpatient for 1 week. He only stayed one week because he thought he was "fixed"
At first he seemed pretty good, he is going to AA and outpatient addication therapy and trying to get better, He really wants to be better.
He was and still is so depressed and he can't seem to get going. We are still on the roller coaster! Some days are good and other days he just sulks all day. I know I should be more understanding but I'm just disappointed things aren't much better. He's been sober 60 days this Friday but if I didn't know better I might guess he's NOT sober; not much has changed. I read an article about Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome (PAWS) which I am sure is the cause of his severe anxiety, acting neurotic, forgetful, disorganized, hiding out in the bedroom for days and messed up sleeping habits. If the PAWS doesn't get better (which the article said it could last 2 months or lifetime) I don't know if I can stick this marriage out. He's lost all my trust and pushed me away with his behavior while high and drunk, I've totally fallen out of love and it isn't coming back!
Anyway, I can't afford counceling and since I found this board I thought this would be a good place to get support from others who've been there done that!
BTW- remember I am NEW, so sorry if I did this post wrong.
THANKS in advance,
Stacey