View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
earlybird

Originally Posted by GreenFish
Okay, so about 15 years ago I was in a couple treatments centers for alcohol, I was in my late teens. I quit drinking.
Then through my 20s I smoked a lot of pot.

A couple of years ago I started drinking again, I am in my mid 30s. Things were going fine, I wasn't having many problems. I did have one severe drunk with full black out, but that was just once.

A couple of months ago I got seriously suicidal for the first time since I was a teen. I didn't drink while that was happening. But, it just occurred to me that I started drinking heavily again after that.

I am now drinking almost everyday. I drink alone and I hide my drinking. I had the shakes this morning. I had a couple drinks with lunch.

I don't know if this is just a phase that will pass again, or what?

I can't turn to anyone for help becuase then they will know that I have been hiding and lying (at least by omission) about my drinking. Truthfully, I think most of my life is going really great.

Also, I am getting back into weed. I have the sort of job that I would probably lose if I ever got into this kind of trouble.

What do I do?

First of all,.......lemme just say ,.....whats up, D-town?.......Im in Livonia,....born in Detroit..........raised in Southfield.

Okay,.................it sounds to me like you answered most of your own questions in your last post. You dont get the shakes unless you are over-doing it. You just dont. Thats alcohol withdrawal. And your WRONG....you can turn to people. You should turn to people. That helps. It gets it out there and it being out there can really be a great tool to help persuade you to get help. If you are wondering if you have a problem, then 9 out of 10 times (and sometimes the tenth) you do. Normal drinkers dont wonder if they have a problem. I dont call the shakes, hiding your drinking, blackouts, worrying you have a drinking problem, lying about drinking, and drinking at lunch ( I assume this is during a work day?) ..........I wouldnt call any of that living a great life as you put it. You have already been in a treatment center for alcohol. And you smoke weed even though you know you will lose your very ability to pay your bills, pay your mortgage or rent, or feed yourself. This whole thing seems like a no-brainer. And also,....of course you think your life is going great right now. We ALL thought it was at the beginning. We werent homeless or alone or broke or unemployed the minute we picked up a drink. The material and emotional things drop like flies soon though. Its sad that it usually takes major set backs, legal trouble and great loss or possessions and loved ones and sometimes homes to FINALLY admit theres a problem. You have a rare opportunity here to side step all that BS before it happens and recognize this now and do something about it. I suggest you take it. I cant say you're an alcoholic,...only you can. But I can tell you that most determined they were with less things going on than you have.