Old 02-03-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Alpine

We were heading back to CO from NY when in Nebraska we let him out to go potty, he got a thorn in his paw so we rolled him over and he yelped. We did not think too much about it until he began to get weaker and weaker in his back legs while we were driving. We tried to get home as fast as possible and found a hospital to take him to. He had an injured disk and at that point had not motor function left in his back legs. Luckily the hospital we chose had a neurosurgeon so she did surgey. We had to keep him pretty much immobile for the first 2 weeks except for going outside. We had to use a harness to hold his back side up. Well, one week later (I slept by him ) he woke up yelping and screaming and had a lot of drainage from his eye and back to the hospital we went. He had a complete tear of his cornea and retina.
It took him about 6 weeks to walk again, he is still a little unstable. I think he strained his back and that is why he is not feeling well. Last night he would not sit if I asked him to and he kind of whimpered when I picked him up. He is still not his normal self this morning but seems a little bit better. Sorry for the long reply.

Riley had therapy for a while and I continued it as well. It took him a good month to be able to walk a very short distance. We had to have yoga mats and small pieces of carpet in our house for him to be able to