View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
schnappi99

Not over alcohol but sure do feel that way after a few years of an increasingly abusive work situation- sort of me being a frog in a slowly heating pot of water. Its mostly a good team and a good project but due to the management and to a large exent, the situation we find ourselves in, has led to a profoundly unjust and disfunctionaly stressful last few years. In the last quarter of 2020 pulling 18hr days, 7 days a week, week after week something broke- and I stopped caring. The situation started easing somewhat early 2021 and moreso this last fall but I still don't really care. They could cancel the project tomorrow and I'd be fine to walk away, this after investing a lot of time and passion into it for the last 10 years.. no interest in socializing with work people, don't care about follow-on work, the overall organization or my company.

I stay because of the stuff in there with my name on it, I like a lot of the people there and don't want to leave them in the lurch.. but beyond that...

Over 2021 I got much more serious about my work boundaries, I sign on the vpn 9-5, monday thru friday, work on stuff thats my business, ignore everything that doesn't have my name on it, and turn off the laptop at 5. If the pressure-cooker turns on again, I'm unsure what to do- pull the trigger and quit? Maybe.. but I do recognize my current condition as containing a lot of unresolved stress- perhaps a form of PTSD, and a strong tendency towards resentment, so not a good place to make big decisions from. I did a quick resume brush-up and some sniffing around for work I might be interested in.. more aligned with my historical interests and smaller companies.

That "being pissed" thing rings a bell for me too... sometime in 2020 I lost a lot of equanimity- its been a fairly quiet last 6 months and I'm still just beginning to recover some of that. Still there is a strong emotional surge when I get the work phone call or a high priority request- I keep saying "demand" but don't want to be saying that because they really are just requests these days (in 2020 it was all demands). My reactions are still somewhat getting away from me.