View Single Post
Old 12-29-2021, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rext19

Girlfriend going down slippery cliff

Hi all,

It has been a tough year and I feel it is only getting worse. I’ve noticed over the last few months my girlfriend of 8-9 years has been sneaking alcohol in our house 3ish days a week. She was a terrible drunk previously when she drank and I insisted it stopped. I personally do not understand how if doing something makes you so sad and a terrible person why they would keep doing it. I’ll admit I never had addiction qualities and super ignorant to even think that. I was a casual drinker (maybe a few drinks a month) but have completely stopped drinking to show my support and importance for her to stay sober and show my support to her. I made the mistake of bringing home a bottle I was gifted from work, days later it was almost empty. How did she think I wouldn’t notice?

Her health is also getting worse, gaining weight and over eating. I want her to get better and feel that finding alcohol and disposing it is not getting anywhere. It has been a game of wack a mole that just makes me more sad. I also noticed whenever she visits my family, she’ll get completely smashed while never publicly drinking. It is completely embarrassing.

I know I should probably move on at this point and if she doesn’t want to help herself there’s really no way out. Just so incredibly sad and makes me super depressed. I want to be with someone happy and healthy. Am I wrong to think this? I think the hiding/sneaking makes it worse as she doesn’t look to me for support but rather a figure who will yell and judge. I have never ever done that before in our long relationship and upset I’ve come to that rationale

it feels better typing this out as I have really nobody else to write these feelings to.

thank you for your time