View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eauchiche

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Eauchiche, I'm amazed that anyone can accumulate 71K emails! But then, I'm one of those who's always clearing out their email trash bin...

In the years since I've begun my own recovery, I've come to see how therapeutic it is to get rid of things that I no longer use or need, things that no longer serve who I am and what I do NOW. That can be cleaning out my filing cabinet, sorting through my closet and dresser, organizing my kitchen cupboards, or any of a number of other things around the house. While it can be difficult to make those decisions sometimes (and sometimes much more emotional than I expected, leading to a deeper look into what is REALLY going on here...), I have always ended up feeling much better.

Sometimes I can only get so far and I have to take a break. Sometimes I end up changing my mind and keeping the items. I think the important part is the consideration of whether these things are really part of who I want to be as I go forward. While I can't say that I necessarily look forward to these cleanups/overhauls, I look at them now as a way to honor the progress I've made and to clear a path for the progress still to come.

May the space you've made for yourself be filled with joy and light in the coming year, Eauchiche!
Thank you Honeypig.
Cleaning up the emails was a good feeling. It made me realize that the problem children represented there are gone out of my head.
Progress, not perfection