View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Kcmiranda View Post
I have told him that I will not keep living like this and that I am not going to change my mind or dismiss my hurt this time because emotionally, I know that if I do this time, my own sanity is at risk. I can't brush it under the rug again or enable this any longer.
Hi Kc, I'm sure this is all terribly hurtful, but you stated your case to him, above and he has given you his answer. Really he has given it to you over and over, he's not changing.

I'm being irrational, I like to drink, you need to give me more time, anger, sorry you have been unhappy this whole time
And again here. While I don't think you are "irrational", he does like to drink and he probably is sorry you are unhappy, but still, he's not changing. The - give him more time - works for him, maybe in 5 months or 5 years or never, he might be willing to quit drinking, but maybe not. It's really up to you what you decide. You can't control him or change him or his drinking, so the ball is in your court.

He doesn't sound at all, from what you have said, like anyone that is interested in being sober and getting in to recovery.

I know you would like him to revert to a sober person, but even if he does become sober, it can take a year for things to settle for him a year of hard, hard self inventory and healing and then more recovery. He also will not be able to drink again, ever, once a person is addicted to alcohol, there is no turning that back.

What do you want for your life? If it's to be peaceful and happy, well, the choice would be to leave. The other choice is to stay, however you would have to accept his drinking, for your own sanity, you are fighting a losing battle here, which is actually his battle (if he chooses to take it) not yours.

Between now and March gives you ample time for planning where you will live, or whether you will ask him to leave and sort things out for yourself from there (if that's what you choose).

Remember, he's not drinking AT you, he's just drinking.