Old 12-04-2021, 12:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It was a bit spicy 😀 but a few jugs of water helped.

Although they’re called Indian restaurants, in the UK they’re normally run by people with Pakistani roots who don’t drink for religious reasons. Many of the best places don’t sell alcohol nor want customers bringing it in. My poor wife would take me (as a drinker) to such places, and I’d bitch and moan. I was so accustomed to having at least 4 large beers with Indian food, that it just didn’t taste right if alcohol wasn’t available. Well, that’s also proved to be a myth. In rather dull nights out with colleagues in restaurants, they’ve all envied my mango lassi, masala chai or the pots of Chinese tea that get refilled for free. I’ll admit it takes getting used to at first, but we don’t need alcohol with food.

Some michelin restaurants, as far as I know, just include wine with the food. Luckily I’m not likely to ever be invited into a Michelin place, so that solves that problem 😀
It wasn’t a planned thing but my two favourite Northern Indian/Nepalese places are both BYO. My friends are drinkers but we all agree the food is superb and best not sullied with alcohol

D