Old 12-03-2021, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hodd

Dinner with my sports club - trigger free

This is inspired by Pekelover2’s minute-by-minute thread (which we’re all reading, so keep on posting). They mentioned going running, and I say any sort of exercise works wonders during withdrawal. I remember often running after I’d had a bottle of wine the night before, and the acid reflux shooting up into the chest area was scary. I used to think I was having heart attacks. So any morning exercise will certainly encourage a drinker to at least cut down the night before.

Anyway, here in the UK, Indian restaurants abound, and curry is probably the national dish. Unfortunately, it’s often washed down with numerous pints of ale. Most Indian restaurants open till late and are best avoided after 10pm or so as the clientele will be loud amongst other things. A lot of Indian restaurants, though, don’t have a licence to serve alcohol but allow customers to BYO (bring your own).

So it was to such a BYO place I went recently with my triathlon club. Fair to say, everyone in the club looks after their health to a reasonable and not fanatical level, and I’ve never seen anyone drinking heavily on any occasion. I didn’t bring any drinks along as I knew the restaurant would serve my favourite indian tea, but I was curious what others would bring. One couple did share a bottle of wine, but I think that was the only alcohol I saw all night. Everyone else brought AF or just ordered soft drinks or water.

Oh and when asked, I’ve said that I used to drink too much, became dependent and stopped. No one’s batted an eyelid.

It was a great evening, lots of laughs and it shows what we all know, i.e. don’t need alcohol for a good time. It further strengthens recovery to mix with people who don’t drink or do so moderately. My drinking buddies of old, who I’m very sad to say look terribly unhealthy now compared to my sports buddies, would’ve have a very different evening with the beers going into double figures.

I reckon this shows quitting and finding new interests means the ex-drinker will start mixing with people who don’t drink/do so moderately. Even in the UK, where drinking seems to be a national pastime, there are plenty of great people and stuff to do that doesn’t involve drinking.