View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lucybooz

parents of alcoholics:

how do you handle this misery and heartache? so many posts on here are either husbands and wives, but our children.....how do we not let their problems affect us as well? i get so angry when my son starts this nonsense, but then the anger goes away and i'm so sad and so full of worry. sometimes i get so mad i try to convince myself that i really don't care what happens - i'm fooling myself. all i can think about is WHAT is going to happen to him. i don't want to face the fact that this just might kill him or land him in jail for a long time. how do i let this obsession go!!!!! a parent wants to protect their children but it's impossible to protect them from this horrible disease, from jail, even from death.

we live in a rural part of georgia and there isn't much out there in the form of al-anon, but i'm going to look around. i have to talk to others who are living thru this nightmare...time after time after time. i must find out how to deal with my feelings about how i feel about me and how i feel about my son. sometimes i feel so guilty as how i feel about my son - those times when i'm so angry i could choke him into some sense!!!!! then those times when i sit and cry worrying if he's alive, safe, or what.

this group is a life-force really. a sounding board, a venting station, and a place where caring, loving people are there for you.

thanks for being here, jane