View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by justinmyroom View Post
This was really, really helpful. Thank you so much Yes, I meant to use them as deterrents! For some reason, they are listed as 'medications to treat alcohol dependence' on the NHS website, which is a bit of a confusing title for them. I haven't set up an appointment with my GP yet, but I need to. I seriously hate talking to them about this so I admit I have been procrastinating haha.
You're quite welcome. I live to serve.

I've read and seen stories of people who experience miraculous success with one medication or another, but my unscientific study has concluded that these are rare instances, indeed. My notion is that those medication miracles are actually more attributable to the person than to the medication itself. On the other hand, my perspective was - if the doctor suggests it, why not give it a shot? Maybe one of those medications will miraculously interact with me in a positive way. Didn't happen.

Now as to that, "if the doctor suggests it" bit - take that with a big grain of salt. The first doctor I saw had absolutely no idea what she was doing. She would not prescribe antabuse, but did prescribe benzodiazepines, which are referred to in addiction treatment programs as 'freeze-dried alcohol.' She then offered to write more scripts way sooner than I would need them if I was taking them as prescribed. That was a careless mistake, and I didn't take her up on it. But what if I was a pill person? That could have been very bad news indeed. I have a great GP now, though.

Yeah, I know the procrastination thing - it's a kind of effective way to avoid anxiety, right? Until I become anxious about how much I've procrastinated. That is a barely tolerable level of anxiety and I sure don't like getting to that point. ("Don't like" = wild understatement.)

Don't think about it. Just rip off the band-aid and make the appointment. Then we can talk about how you can talk with your gp about this. One step at a time helps...