Old 11-23-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Surrendered19

Those are tough things to think about Bodhi. Early on I couldn't attend friend get-togethers that centered around drinking. There is no way I would have stayed sober. I had a similar group of friends as you describe and I suspect many do. Once I let the people in that group that I cared about and trusted know that I wasn't drinking anymore, I was no longer invited to and was no longer interested in attending the larger group things. It was a relief really. And the people in my friend group who trusted me and cared about me reached out and to this day we are closer than ever. I have far fewer relationships today two years sober than I did during my drinking days, but all of my relationships are now two-way streets and are relationships that I can rely on.

The large group drinking gatherings still happen but they happen without me and that is just fine. As with your group, there were many members of my group that I am well rid of. The ones that you love and who love you back though will still be a big part of your life because those were the only genuine relationships to begin with.