Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 02:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Bodhi02

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I can't help but wonder how your husband feels about this. Have you discussed it with him? Does he back you in your decision to not drink? If so, why can't he back you up when your MIL starts pressing you on the subject of drinking? I would think with both you and your husband standing up to her, she would get the hint to back off.
My husband wholeheartedly supports my choice to not drink. We used to bicker during those wine filled evenings which I’d have no recollection of the next morning. So he’s more than thrilled those have stopped.

I’ve only mentioned it to him in passing a few times that her comments bother me. I honestly don’t think he notices because I’m more aware of it than he is and she can just be mean in general like the other day she was making fun of my height (very immature). If I were to ask him to back me up when she says stuff he would. I’ve just thought it was better to handle it on my own and I don’t think he wants to step on my toes and by accident expose my relationship with alcohol when I don’t really want his family to know that. (Partly because I think they wouldn’t understand and would make fun of me). His brother was in shock the other night at dinner and says “you’re still not drinking?!” They’re all pretty obsessed with drinking but that’s not my place to judge. It is hitting me hard though lately because I’ve realized how the holidays are very one dimensional and boring because all they do is drink. All 3 of the sons are going to be there this thanksgiving and arguments breaking out will be inevitable (ughhh). The one brother who lives far away particularly drinks a lot like first thing in the morning and seemingly lives to push people’s most deepest and sensitive buttons.

I could see myself asking my husband for help if it got really out of hand.