Thread: 5 days
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Finalcall

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Those first horrible 5 days were reason enough for me never to have one drink again. After reading so many accounts of one drink turning into a full blown return to alcoholism, I'm pretty sure there is truth in it. But I don't know if it's true for me, because I never tried it. So I guess, some of us have to try it, just like the small child who is warned not to touch the hot stove, and then the first thing he does is touch the stove. It's the reason we tell each other over and over again, that quitting must be FOR LIFE.

I'm not a person of faith, but accepting that I cannot drink again, is one of the few things I have allowed myself to accept on faith. This is not hard to do, because I hated my life becoming a living Hell. And the alternative to never drinking again was just to ugly to accept. I hated trying to find pleasure or relief in something that had proven to give me no pleasure or relief whatsoever. And every way I looked at the problem, there was no way I could change that reality. There was no more upside to drinking than there was in jumping off a bridge (for me).

Is it different for you? You've touched the stove. You know the consequences. Why not just give up and accept reality? Because here's the thing; Reality is better than a false and harmful fantasy.
I definitely do relate. A day or 2 of pleasure if I'm lucky followed by relentless despair. Thanks