Old 10-28-2021, 01:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Robbie64

Thanks Mags. I'm IN for another sober weekend.

I find Halloween to be a strange celebration. Not because it's macabre (it's not, it's good fun) but because in the UK it's something that wasn't really celebrated until the 90s. Before that it usually consisted of a handful of children going door to door with a lantern made from a turnip (not a pumpkin) with a candle stuck in the middle. Very low key celebrations. Then all of a sudden, in the 1990s, it started to take off as a celebration. Part of the appeal for me back then was that the local pubs started doing a themed halloween night so of course that appealed to the drinker in me. Any excuse for a party / a drink. I know that two of my local pubs have been decorated in halloween paraphernalia but I will be giving it all a wide berth and staying home. And not answering the door to any trick or treaters either!

It's a bittersweet weekend for me as Saturday will be the anniversary of my father's death. Along with my sisters I'm going to the Garden Of Remembrance at the crematorium on Saturday morning to lay some flowers and to reflect on our thoughts for a short while. Afterwards we are going for a meal and will then plan on what to do after that.

I hope everyone has a good, alcohol free, weekend whatever it is you are doing. Especially if like me, come Sunday afternoon / evening you wil be pretending not to be in when all the knocks at the door from the trick or treaters start 🎃