View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
VikingGF

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I feel like I have to continue to remember that beating I took from alcohol. It won. I lost. The End.

Seriously, I quit drinking for 18 years. I just quit one day in my early thirties. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought and I certainly didn't feel anything momentous about quitting. It was just time.

Unfortunately, since I gave it little thought I also gave it little thought on a day the planets and life circumstances aligned and I picked up a drink at Happy Hour. I had been a waitress at a popular bar for years and had seen many Happy Hours, so that wasn't it....it was just a thoughtless moment. I actually drank moderately after that for quite a while so again - pretty non-thoughtful about the whole thing.

I drank moderately until I didn't.

By the time I quit again seven years had passed and "moderation" was but a memory. As they say in AA, "If you want to go back out, all your misery will be refunded."

True that.

So now, it was An Event Worth Remembering when I quit in March 2014. I will not in this lifetime forget the entire story that preceded that day.
All this! This time feels different because I will not let myself forget. I don’t want it to all go away, I need those memories and thoughts to stay so I keep feeling this strength and gratitude. I also no longer use the word forever, to me it sounds almost flippant as there are no guarantees. But I CAN say I won’t drink today.

Thanks, biminiblue.