Old 10-24-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lautca
Sober since October 24, 1997

Hi, joelr. It sounds like part of what's going on is you want your family to know that when you have been sober, that you really have been sober, in order for you to stay sober. That's not going to work when they won't believe you, or believe in you, to give you support. With that kind of situation, you instead get support at places like AA and here.

But there is a bigger picture to all of this, though. Stopping drinking is just the first part. Everyone who gets to long-time sobriety has to look around inside and find out what is making him/her drink to begin with, and then do something to fix it. If you don't find out what is making you drink and then fix it, you will continue to stop and start drinking. Only you can do the fixing. Just my personal observation, some alcoholics take-on finding out why they drink, and then do something about it so they become sober, as the greatest adventure of their life and look forward to it every day. I was an adventuresome one.

What I might suggest is getting help with organizing what you have that will help you stay sober, and from what you wrote you have A LOT, and keep going the right direction. I've been sober for many years with zero slips, but had some false starts at first, same as you. Hey! If I made it, so can you!