Thread: Seeking Support
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cookie314

I agree with the others you'll need to talk to an attorney about housing, and if you can actually kick him out if he doesn't want to leave. At first, I tried making rules about not having alcohol in our house with my AH. When I'd come home to find him drunk, I'd tell him I can't force him to leave, but we both had agreed no drinking at the house. The first few times he did leave on his own, though unfortunately he'd spend that time continuing to drink in the hotel for an extended period. Eventually though, he flat out refused to leave. He told me that needing to leave was a "social boundary" and I couldn't control him. He was right in that I couldn't control him, so I ended up leaving instead. After cooling off he'd usually be upset and apologetic, but the lies and mistreatment followed shortly behind.

Your story about your husband reminds me of mine like that. My AH followed a sort of cycle of depression, drinking, guilt, hurtful comments and actions, anger, and apologies as well. He got to be incredibly defensive over any suggestion about working on maintaining recovery, or any perceived slight. His response to those was often angry lashing out in an attempt to hurt the other person (usually me, though he went after my mom and sister as well, which was part of my final straw) as much as he felt like they were hurting him. I was lucky to have my sister and her husband living close by where I could stay when I needed to leave. Your therapist is wise to suggest a safety plan for all of you. Even if you don't feel like he would physically harm any of you, the mental and emotional harm am addict causes to those around them is quite real.

I hope he's able to find a long term program and housing for his recovery. It will likely need to be at least a year of sobriety before his recovery has settled in. It's a long road ahead, but I think it sounds like you already have some good boundaries in place, and are putting yourself and your kids first.