Thread: Cut Back Coach
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mizz

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Cutting back is such a universal attempt by alcoholics that we could revise Step 1 and 2 of the 12 Steps.

Step 1: Realizing that our drinking has become problematic, we resolved to cut back on our drinking.
Step 2: Having failed at cutting back, we resolved to reinstate the old first two steps in their original form.

But seriously, trying to cut back was such a big part of my alcoholism that I actually do consider it to be one of the steps I took toward finally quitting. Until we prove to ourselves once and for all that we can't drink, we will always try to prove that we can drink like normal people. Throughout early recovery we are constantly finding out what works, and what doesn't. I think we can make a case, albeit a rather feeble case, that trying to moderate is almost part of the process of recovery, well... leading to it, anyway.
I do agree with this. I was speaking with someone yesterday and they are in the phase of knowing they need to quit but have not gotten to the point. The phase of slipping up. The phase of having one last hurrah! When they were speaking they did say they know how stupid it all sounds. To me it sounds like the journey and one that I was on for a decade. The journey of bargaining or testing or moderating or...... I mean, the journey is not linear for a lot of people. We dont just quit and never look back. Its a series of moments and lessons. More moments and more lessons and then hopefully you find yourself at the end of that journey ready to start a new chapter.