View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
onegoodegg

Originally Posted by dbyrer View Post
I am so sorry you have had to go through this. It sounds like you have taken in a lot of good information and understand what you are dealing with. Your husband is absolutely right that he can not be a good husband at this time. And good for you that you understand that you cannot change him and must move on. It is so sad. That is addiction. You can wish him well from afar. Many of us, for some reason (or maybe for none!) are drawn to alcoholics. Not that they ARE alcoholics, but something in the personality clicks with ours and we feel immediately comfortable with them, finding ourselves in relationship after relationship with people who have the same problem. I realized this for myself in my mid-40's. I have been trying, with therapy, to figure that out and learn how to look for people to associate with who are in a more healthy place. Not sure if that helps you or if I went on a tangent there. Anyway, there is a lot of information and wisdom on this site. Welcome.
Thank you for the response. I had been in a few serious relationships before him, and never had any issues with alcoholism. I met my husband in my early thirties, so I thought I knew the type of person I wanted to marry by then. He seemed so normal, but he was the one with the dark secret. Now I will know what to look for when/if I'm ready to start dating again.