Thread: Emotional
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Jupiter11 View Post
I have reached the end of my 14 day target thread. Have made my Big Plan, so having targets is not viable anymore. This is the way I am going to live now, as a teetotaller, this is my life from now on, no striving for the next week, or fortnight or month of time.
Kudos, I'm all for the big plan when you are ready for it. Recovery is about the future, and plans by definition are made for the future.

Originally Posted by Jupiter11 View Post
I'll keep this thread going because it helps to thrash things out here.
But not going to be so much about "recovery" as much as re-learning how to live without drink in my life.
Learning how to live comes from personal growth. Learning how to live without a drink is part of that and focuses on learning strategies for not drinking, like avoiding risk situations. Keep your eye on not taking that drink ever, and the rest follows. Some of it will come naturally, but sometimes we have to actually make an effort. But like StarTrek's Prime Directive, the Alcoholic's Prime Directive must always be not to take that first drink. After this condition is met, we can begin to sort the rest of it out.