View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
555Lynn555

Lapse vs. Relapse

This question is nagging at me. My son has been seeing a MAT provider (Medication Assisted Treatment) and as anyone following my posts knows he is early in his sobriety and has drank several times. When he drinks it is the same volume as before but it will be for a day and then he starts again. I recognize that he is white-knuckling his way to a new personal best for how long he abstains. His MAT provider said to him that he doesn't consider these relapses but more like a lapse (his words) as a relapse would be "Where's (my son's name)"? I understand the encouragement. I understand that they are likely used to seeing relapse lasting for extended periods. However, I feel like it's saying that this is ok and that really bothers me. I'm watching him try so hard but I'm also watching him struggle so hard. This week he sees his MAT provider, his therapist, and his PCP (labs again) so he'll stay sober for that---and I will not be at all surprised if he drinks after. This provider has helped in many ways but I feel like this "it's ok to fall" thing is telling him it's ok to take a break from the hard and drink and I don't think it is. Am I not seeing something here?