Thread: cold as charity
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
honeypig

Sage and Nike, I agree w/both of you.

Several years ago, I volunteered for a group called Victory Gardens. Our job was to go out, in 8-hour shifts, and install raised-bed gardens for those who'd purchased them. The crew I was with spent a LOT of time casually mentioning to each other the other places they'd volunteered, and most of them were wearing T-shirts from those other organizations. However, come lunchtime, ALL of those folks, except for myself and one other person, found they had something urgent to attend to that they'd forgotten about and unfortunately wouldn't be able to finish out their commitment.

Indeed.

More recently, I volunteered at a local food pantry. They were organized, time frames and goals were clear, and service was efficient (this was during Covid times, so items were bagged and delivered to each car rather than people walking through the place and "shopping").

I'd go back to the food pantry in a heartbeat. I have zero interest in working for the Victory Garden folks again.

Like anything else, giving can be done in a healthy or unhealthy way, I believe.