View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Scd619x

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
For my next conspiracy theory ... no this is just a thought, I reckon some doctors have an estimate of how long and how much alcohol it takes to damage a liver. Genetics plays a big part along with lifestyle, but there must be a point where liver disease is seen most. But imagine if they published figures saying after X beers a day for Y years, you could get liver disease. Again, that’d a green light for drinkers to have X-1 beers a day! I’m always wary when someone asks how much I drank. What can they do with that information? A couple of points - I wouldn’t want anyone to follow my old drinking behaviour, body shape and dull lifestyle. Also, I quit in my late forties, and there are cases of cirrhosis with people in their thirties.
My mate is a GP, we have had this discussion. He said if you drink daily for a decade that will be enough to start it, but you will need at least another decade doing the same to be at the no way back point, and that as you say depends on weight, fitness level, but mostly genetics. He also said that most cirrhosis is not of the alcohol nature.