View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bute

Hi Lynn
A tough situation for you. You're right, you can't make him stop drinking, all you can do, is put boundaries in place to protect yourself, your younger son, and your home.
The boundaries are what you will accept, and what you won't, as you know, and the important thing for me, was that I could follow through on them.
Would it perhaps be a thought that if he has been drinking, or goes to buy alcohol, he doesn't get back inside the house? That may be easier than attempting to get a drunk man out again. Remove keys if he has them, and keep the door locked, so he can't swan in, and hide alcohol.
my son is also my addict, he is 27. My story differs, as I evicted my son from the family home nearly 8 years ago. My son also has mental health issues, for which he receives medication.
I decided that I wasn't tolerating the drug/alcohol use and I no longer wanted a front row seat to it all either.
Take one day at a time. If you can get support, which you will receive on here, that will benefit you. What would he do if you weren't there? There is support out there for him, but he won't seek it, if life at home is cushie.
Sending Love
Bute x