Old 07-26-2021, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
msl999

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Thanks, msl. Do you know why SMART didn't do it for you, what was missing or not a good fit, was it about SMART itself or your efforts in using it? Asking because I've had my good share of trying things that didn't work out for me, and often spent too much time and energy with those, like the infamous insanity cycle... doing the same and expecting a different result. Not necessarily wasted interest and effort in terms of learning and figuring out what sorts of approaches are not the most suitable for me, but the drinking and damage just continued, so I can't deem those efforts successful. Sounds like you had spent quite a bit of time with SMART and eventually found a better way, but what was missing from the old one?
SMART has many tools, but I found (for myself) that they weren’t available when a strong urge would come out of nowhere. Terminally Unique said it best in the first of the 6-pert AVRT thread:
Experience also showed me that to even contemplate the reasons for drinking versus not drinking while having an urge was doomed to failure. Before I was even half-way through my Cost-Benefit Analysis, I would be three-quarters of the way to the liquor store. I was at one point able to do this, but by the end, any "thinking" about why I shouldn't drink would inevitably lead to some ridiculous rationalization for drinking, or at the very least not produce a sufficient reason not to drink which would deter me.
This was my experience as well. I was able to get to 5 months one time, but inevitably those tools did not keep me from drinking. I was continually deciding whether or not to drink. Eventually, I was going to “decide” to have some more of that sweet poison.

AVRT took away the decision. I made my Big Plan over 4 years ago, the decision has already been made. Now, I am able to live my life without worrying about that next relapse hiding around the corner. I am free & it feels great!!!

BTW, did you know that SMART was born out of Rational Recovery?