View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Webbiecat

Big hugs to you, as you sound like you have a lot on your plate right now!!

I'm new to this site, and fairly new to the recovery game, but I do have worlds of life experience to offer.

The one thing I know for sure about recovery, is that it won't work if your Mom does it for anyone but herself. You, your Dad, and your siblings will benefit from it, but she can't do it for you. She has to help to save herself, and no one else. It's a hard pill to swallow, and I understand the "why can't she do it for me?" feeling.

It sounds right now that the mother/child roles are reversed, and that's not healthy in the long run. And I'm talking about YOUR health. Right now you say you're OK, but it will take its toll. I know that you love her and want to help and protect her, but by putting her in a cocoon so to speak, you're not allowing her to get the help she really needs. Yes, you're protecting her from herself, and from drinking, but she isn't dealing with the drinking problem. And being on guard all the time, worrying about where she is or if she is drunk again, will wear you down.

I know you don't want her to fall again, but that could be the very thing she needs to seek help for herself. Some of us only learn life's lessons the hard way. Get to the bottom, figure out it's not the place we want to be, and find a way back up.