View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KidsEverywhere

Three years and almost two months.

I was just as bad as anyone here with my drinking. Here are a few principles I’ve used that has helped keep me sober:

1) Being sick and tired of being sick and tired. No spouse, kids, parents, boss, etc will shame you into it- it has to be you that has decided the change is needed.
2) get in and work a daily program- I’m active in AA and it works for me.
3) get some version of a “home group” where people will call and check on you if you aren’t there for a couple of days and you feel obligated to reach out to let folks know if you are going to miss- something that makes you accountable.
4) get a sponsor (or someone in a program) that will hold you accountable and help you work your program.
5) stay away from places and people who are bad influences- this will be hard at first- but will come natural and if there are true friends there- they will emerge and remain friends without the drugs/ alcohol. The saying- if you hang around a barber shop- you’ll end up with a haircut- applies here.
6) help others! This is especially important when you get a little sober time under your belt. Giving it back becomes key to keeping it.