View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hope4

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really do appreciate any input, good or bad, everyone is telling me. Honestly, I do appreciate it greatly. For the past couple of years I've been taking each day one step at a time and every little piece of advice and concern helps, so thank you =)

Let's see though.. when it comes to an attorney and such, we have been through all that. My dad had my mom convicted and then she was released from the hospital by her doctor after a period of time. That is how she went on sick-leave from her work. Cops have been involved but we live in a fairly secluded town. Ya know, one of those if one person knows, everyone knows kind of things. That's why we suggested my mom stay with her brothers for awhile. I truly feel that was the best thing for her. She is to the point now where her eyes really have opened. I can't even count the number of conversations we've had about this but once she went away for a couple of days and had time to think everything over, she realized how much it had hurt me and my brothers. I don't like being the focus here or the one people are concerned with. This is what my other family members say, they're worried about me and the change and affect it has taken on me but I'm not. Just like my mother says I guess about alcoholism, there is nothing wrong with me to me. I'll be fine as long as she is fine..

The whole issue about my mom not driving is hard because my mother has asked me not to let her go anywhere alone or be put in that position. That's why she never goes anywhere alone or has no access to keys. She actually has plenty of access to keys if she could just figure out what car they went to. There are always lots of cars in our driveway due to my dad's job but she's never taken it upon herself to go through all that trouble. Usually it's just my car that she takes if she ever just takes off. It's hard to just give her keys like nothing is going to go wrong when she tells me not to let her have them.. It's confusing and hard to explain.

A lot of people know about our situation. My mom has several brothers and sisters who all know and care. Like I said in an earlier post though, my mom isn't the type to want to reach out to anyone, she never has been. When she found out others knew, that also made things worse. Her friends know because she's told them and then other friends of the family but it's just so hard to expect anything good to happen. I'm just always expecting the worse. I completely understand about controlling my mom, it's so hard but I understand. Only she can decide to change things, not anyone else.. not even me. This is where the whole it being my fault comes into play. I believe that is when my mom realized what a huge affect it had had on me. When I was blaming myself and when I would find her drunk and I'd just beg and cry wondering what I had done to make her want to do it again? I just didn't feel like I was enough for her to stay sober. I know it's nothing but being selfish. I wanted to be enough for her to stop but it's not that easy. I understand that it's not that she necessarily wants to drink, she just has the urge to when she gets so depressed. That's another reason I feel getting away from here would help. Being in this same atmosphere just seems to bring her down. I'm not sure about anything. I know for her to get better she has to do it on her own and I pray that things continue to stay well. I'll definitely be updating again I'm sure and seeking advice. Thank you for all your replies. Every little thing said can help. Thank you!