Old 07-07-2021, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mags1
Magsie

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 09 - 12 July 2021

Welcome to the Weekenders

This week could’ve, would’ve been a disaster for me if I’d been drinking.

A water leak, scrambling to find it, carpets and floor boards hurriedly pulled up. Then the allergies and asthma flare up because of upheaval (small as it was).

On top of that the plumber didn’t arrive and didn’t even give me a lame excuse, well basically ignored my text.

In the past I would’ve immediately turned to drink. I would’ve deserved it, I’d tell myself. But the drink would’ve added stress to the day and it would’ve been ‘woe is me’, the world hates me, I can’t cope.

Instead it is something I can put right myself. I can find another plumber, it’s a bit of an inconvenience for us for a few days but not worth drinking over. I have my meds for allergies/asthma, so it’s ok.

I know many of you will have been in similar or worse situations and have not turned to booze for the solutions. There’s zero answers in the bottom of a bottle.

Drinking, we know only exacerbates our problem.

I’ve borrowed the following text from one of many of Dee’s inspiring posts. Thanks Dee.

Illusions is one of my favourite books by Richard Bach.

It's actually the first place I read 'don't sweat the small stuff'.

I recommend it to anybody if you can find a copy.

He also writes:

“There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.”

― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

I struggled with that for a long time (still not sure I seek problems but I can take good from them, lol).

The gift of my problems this week was to remind me of the good things in my life...and to remind me that others in this world are *really* suffering.