View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
teethgrinder

Hello. I know what JT was trying to say- we've all been there. We all started off by "watching over" everything our alcoholic loved one did because we felt that they were just not capable or willing to look out for themselves. We did it because we didn't want something horrible to happen to them and would rather sacrifice ourselves to save the person we loved. The problem with that is that now we are part of the problem. We have now increased the odds that our loved one will continue on the path of self destruction. It does seem insane that our very act of protection, care and concern could actually help place our loved ones in more danger but that is the truth. It would be a great idea for you to find a Alanon meeting and learn about codependency. Your family's loving actions are, unintentionally, bad for everyone. Your mom, just like my husband, doesn't have to worry about herself or take care of herself because the rest of you are doing it for her. Stop keeping tabs on her whereabouts, stop searching for and throwing away her alcohol. Let her know that you want her to get help and that when she is ready, you are there to help her but then say nothing. I know, much easier said than done but she needs to be free to experience the consequences of her own behaviors. I'm sure that like the rest of us, you notice that all the alcohol seizing and attempts at control don't work. Don't keep repeating the same actions and expecting different results- that's insane. Nothing will change until your mother decides she wants to change. Take care of yourself.
Having said that, if your family feels that she is at risk for suicide or immediate danger of harming herself, talk to an attorney regarding your options. Also you could speak to someone about an intervention. They will tell you that in order for an intervention to be successful you will have to make some tough decisions about what actions you will take if she is unwilling to accept treatment.
None of this is easy. Keep talking to others and reaching out.