View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hopeyred

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
First, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. It’s even more complicated by the fact that it seems you work at the same place? That adds a whole other dimension of risk. Some companies and cultures have a “boys will be boys” mentality where it’s all great fun that a guy has a drinking problem, not that he will ever be taken all that seriously as an employee. Other companies will only put up with it for so long.

And I assume they know that you two are a couple. Sadly and unfairly, in many places, (I’m assuming you’re female, so correct me if otherwise), women who continue to hang on with the drunk boys’ mascot are judged more harshly than he ever is. He’s a laugh, but you must be a pushover. That affects your career as well as your personal life.

It’s not going to change. All you can do is focus on what you can do about your life. Can you save up toward having your own place? Move in with a friend for a while?

I send you hopes for clarity and strength.

Thank you so much- I’m actually in a stronger position than him at work in that I work in a school and I am a teacher whereas he is contracted in as a maintenance man. The oroblem I have is that everyone at work only sees him sober & thinks hes amazing. This is the first time anyone’s seen this side of him which equally mortified me & made me feel glad that maybe people would understand when I left.