View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 07:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Janine1967

Originally Posted by frostfire65 View Post
Hello - I am new to the forums, just joined today. I decided that I want to stop drinking alcohol altogether. I have what I would consider a strange version of addiction. I drink at most once a week, sometimes even only once in 2 weeks. But when I do, once I have that first drink I basically can't stop until I get way too drunk. The strange thing is that I don't really ever have any kind of withdrawal symptoms. I am hungover for a whole day, which is awful. But then feel fine. But inevitably what happens is that the stress of life builds up and I go from feeling great to slowly feeling more and more stressed and dissatisfied with life, then I drink again. I consider it an addiction nevertheless because despite wanting to never drink again, I do it anyways. I have put A LOT of thought into it and I feel like I have figured out my "cycle" and why I do it. It is an escape from a reality that I am dissatisfied with. I now need to figure out a way to break that cycle. I either have to change reality (which is pretty much impossible) or I have to find other escapes that don't involve pouring a poisonous chemical down my throat. I think having some fellowship with others in the same situation might help me get out of this cycle. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.
Hi frostfire & welcome! 🙋‍♀️
I joined on my 5th sober day (day 13 now) and find it incredibly helpful knowing that I don't need to hide myself here... from me or anyone else.
Started like you 30+ yrs ago. Weekend partying & bartending that turned into passing out 7/365. I drank to self medicate anxiety, depression, dissatisfaction, anger & every other emotion & problem.
Recognizing that your drinking pattern is abnormal, even if you only binge twice per month, is huge! My gosh, you can be saving yourself decade's of torture, self hatred, injuries & health problems, family & financial difficulties & so much more.
I'm happy you joined us & please post. It really makes things easier, especially during the beginning of our sober lives.
J