View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
frostfire65

Strange kind of addiction

Hello - I am new to the forums, just joined today. I decided that I want to stop drinking alcohol altogether. I have what I would consider a strange version of addiction. I drink at most once a week, sometimes even only once in 2 weeks. But when I do, once I have that first drink I basically can't stop until I get way too drunk. The strange thing is that I don't really ever have any kind of withdrawal symptoms. I am hungover for a whole day, which is awful. But then feel fine. But inevitably what happens is that the stress of life builds up and I go from feeling great to slowly feeling more and more stressed and dissatisfied with life, then I drink again. I consider it an addiction nevertheless because despite wanting to never drink again, I do it anyways. I have put A LOT of thought into it and I feel like I have figured out my "cycle" and why I do it. It is an escape from a reality that I am dissatisfied with. I now need to figure out a way to break that cycle. I either have to change reality (which is pretty much impossible) or I have to find other escapes that don't involve pouring a poisonous chemical down my throat. I think having some fellowship with others in the same situation might help me get out of this cycle. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.