View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Janine. It can sometimes be really helpful to deal with a sudden disturbing, scary situation, and it sounds like you had some good luck finding treatment. I recently struggled quite a lot with trying to find my way to stay sober, part of it was putting effort in the wrong things for me... much better now that I'm on the right track (again, had a similar stint last year but stopped it stupidly). There are millions of potentially effective ways to help maintain sobriety and deal with other mental health issues, you listed some classics in your OP. I personally use SMART (tools, meetings) and it works very well for me when I actively engage in it on a daily basis - just being aware of it and passively studying was never enough, unfortunately. Talking does not help me much either.

The other main aid in my recovery now is a daily guided meditation practice, using an app called Waking Up, created by a neuroscientist with extensive experience in exploring and training the mind to serve us better - this is currently probably the most useful tool for a variety of purposes, and it was sort of an accidental find while not even focusing on recovery. What I'm learning from this practice seems to be more useful to deal with my alcohol cravings and moods than likely anything else I've encountered/tried during the past year or so, it kinda blows my mind how effective / good fit it is for me, combined with the SMART tools (they are all very compatible). The key is doing these things every single day, no break, no distraction.

I've personally never been afraid of my thoughts - always been so interested in exploring my thoughts and feelings since childhood, so familiar with it, there isn't really anything that can scare me there. What I need to pay attention to is the space between thoughts/feelings and action, which basically contains the opportunities to decide "life or death", when it comes to the addiction.

You can learn a lot about recovery methods here on SR, and my suggestion is also to use your own instinct and imagination and be reasonably critical of advice as well, if possible. Best wishes.