View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Scd619x

I got sober through AA, done al the work, sponsor etc. My drinking was less than 100 units a week when i stopped which is equivalent to just over a couple of fifths of rum a week which is why the docs never warned me about stopping cold turkey. I also had taken long 'breaks' from alcohol i my continuing attempts to get sober! My pattern sounds different to yours so can i tell you about a friend of mine?

The guy was a very successful captain of a boat for about 30 years, he retired about 15 years ago at 60. You can imagine the amount of drinking that was involved in being the captain of a boat as it wasn't quite the woke days we are living in now. Anyways he retired and his drinking picked up because he had no work so he would drink rum all day everyday. He had a son who no longer trusted him enoughto see his grandkids, etc so drinking wasn't helping at all. Long story short he was dead scared of detox, went to the docs and was finally honest after telling his son he thought he was an alcoholic. Docs said don't stop on your own and keep drinking until he could get into local rehand who would detox him too. He spent 3 months in rehab, saw the pink rabbits on the 3rd day without booze and all that, and in there they followed the AA way of getting sober, the step work up to step 5 etc. He left the rehab and has since been sober in AA and loves it, and they love him. One day at a time.

If you skip ahead to him leaving rehab or me walking into AA, you could hit a few meetings, buy a Big Book and start reading that, share at a meeting or ask someone on how to get a sponsor and explain your drinking history, but at this stage i think hitting a meeting is important in person or on Zoom. It's an option

One more thing i've got GAD and depressive disorder, it was there well before i started drinking and i used alcohol to self medicate so that's something, like me, you will have to address with medication/counselling in sobriety asap. I smoked all my adult life too, gave up a while back, after 100s of half assed attempts i quit?! In hindsight i wish i hadn't bothered with the 100s of previous attempts, or did they lead up to me being successful this last time, f*** knows lol