Thread: SMART Recovery
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I just posted a similar thread in Secular Connections a couple days ago:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7650830 (Interest in and Experience with SMART Recovery?)

I like SMART a lot and had better success with it than anything else I've tried, including SR. For me, what really makes it work is using the program/tools, not merely attending meetings. The ones about Managing Urges are some of my favorites, as that is usually my biggest issue in staying sober. They also have a weekly meeting focusing on urges. I would recommend getting the SMART Handbook if you are interested, it describes everything very clearly and concisely, also provides worksheets for the various exercises. The program is quite comprehensive and you can pick what you find useful. I've made my own electronic worksheets.

The meetings do vary a lot, some have more structure and stick with discussing the program than others, very much depends on the facilitator of the meeting. They also differ in number of participants from around 20 to hundreds. I personally like the larger meetings as you get to hear from a more diverse crowd and can also just listen if you wish, while in some of the smaller meetings everyone is expected to check in and talk (or course you can pass, but they do call on you at times). I like when we practice the tools in meetings in real time, a good way to learn how to use them. Some SMART meetings are a lot like group therapy sessions. I also like that (in contrast to the meetings of some other programs) SMART encourages crosstalk, so its an actual discussion and you can get feedback. They also posts a lot of useful links in the chat during meetings. Try different ones and see which ones resonate. I personally don't use the local groups (that moved online during the pandemic) now as I like many of the more general meetings better.

Not sure what type of structure you desire, some of the meetings are definitely stronger in that sense and give clearer guidance. I personally like that they do not include as much ritual as other types of recovery meetings, which gets repetitive and, for me, boring after a while. You can also create a structure of using SMART for yourself. For example, I do some kind of exercise with the tools every day and try to attend a meeting a day or every other day right now. SMART also has a forum where you can find much more info than here on SR and ask questions about different parts of the program. You can also combine the SMART program with using SR or anything else, they are very open and encourage mixing.