Old 06-02-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I think we all have our own respective learning styles and preferences, and I think it's a good idea to take these individual tastes into account when it comes to how we obtain information and inspiration. For example, I'm smiling to myself reading the last several posts here, because I personally find Trimpey a pretty good writer and got much more out of New Cure book (second time reading, when my AV didn't interfere with my reading so much) than from any other AVRT sources, including this forum. For me, his text describing all the concepts and practical aspects of the method is very clear and super easy to comprehend, didn't need to read anything multiple times or wonder much what he meant. My personal favorite in the book is when he talks about the different kinds of Beast Attacks - the most helpful ever for me, when I deal with all the tricks of my AV, which is really a masterful manipulator and trickster and can invade my mind like nothing and no one else I've ever encountered! Especially the type of "attack" he describes as Vertigo - I experienced that virtually every single day during my first month sober, that's what I constantly complained about as incredibly disturbing cravings. What truly made the difference, relative to similar states in the past, was that (speaking in AVRT language) "I" was present during them, with my commitment and determination, while in the past I would just drop the lead and merge with the Beast/AV, even if I had countless transient moments of clarity.

I even found most of the sections on the larger social context, history and state of the recovery industry back in the 1990's (a lot still applies IMO) interesting, but I have my own professional interest in all this, so that might be why. I could easily ignore his particular passion on second reading recently when I disagreed with it, didn't find it relatable here and now, and even found his style and form of cynicism amusing at places. The long threads on SR are interesting and richer, but were not as useful for me as a solid source, to learn how to do it. For me, they are a bit too complicated, subjective, with too much irrelevant tracks to get the point and basics. But it was SR where I first heard of RR many years ago, so definitely not to be discredited as the first pointer. I also agree with others that the SR threads on AVRT are great to see the myriads of personal interpretations (and AV-driven doubts and criticisms) of the method. I think it also reflects nicely what Trimpey says in the book, that AVRT is as old as the human species, and people naturally discover versions of the strategy on their own to recover... or tweak it on their own while using (like me). I'm now reading another book by Trimpey, an earlier one focusing on overeating. I haven't had any issues with eating for two decades now but am curious and also want to learn a particular strategy from it about dealing with excessive behaviors/preoccupations where the "substance" cannot easily be completely eliminated from our lives, like food (thanks to GT for pointing my attention to it on another thread). I find the language similarly clear, comprehensible, even entertaining. So... to each their own .

Another aspect of the "recovery culture" and communities that I find useful to keep in mind is that it's far from being free of the usual power structures/games and people's striving/fighting for authority and influence. Including the SR forum - in fact, one aspect of online forums I enjoy the most is observing how this works in a "safe" microcosm (the forum and its membership), without having to take any risk or even having to integrate into it much when I don't want to. I think it's also generally helpful not to fall prey to mere personalities and styles (e.g. what may sometimes seem charismatic but lacks real competency) in recovery communities... and everywhere really. I think the good old cliche works well: take what is useful and leave the rest. No need to put down or try to kill something that does not seem useful, it only generates resentments...just move on. Such an attitude can also only enhance recovery from an addiction IMO, via reinforcing independence and autonomy.