View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
D122y
Blue Belt

My testimony...

I couldn't quit until I realized I had permanent brain damage. My damage caused balance problems, anxiety, obsession, and paranoia. Basically....insanity.

All of this, mathematically maybe 99 percent , was booze induced and booze medicated.

None of it seemed to really bother me until I quit drinking for about 2 weeks. Then the hell ramped up.

My addiction to booze made me rationalize that I had been clean for a good long time and having a couple, then lose count, was ok. This was the addiction talking. Really at 2 weeks, I needed a fix. Like a crackhead.

So the last time I was clean around 2 weeks and nearly collapsed from some panic attack/sugar issue. This started happening more and more. It happened while I was driving with my young son and once with my bud.

I knew it was all booze induced. I had to quit because I felt this would be what ruined everything in my life if I didn't.

I suffered suffered suffered suffered. Through 90 days clean, then a year, then 3 years. Then things really started to feel good. After about 5 years clean, I started feeling like a whole new person.

For some people this takes less time, but I had unknowingly relapsed for decades and was heavily kindled.

I understand everyone is different and some folks may never be able to quit drinking. But, at least they are trying to take better care. The problem some face is the off and on drinking causes stress of a different nature than just staying drunk.

Both tear a person up, but in different ways.

You will be able to quit when you are ready. Wanting to quit and getting educated on addiction are half the battle. Suffering and time are the rest.

Optimistically, you will feel pretty awesome after a few months because you likely didn't drink as hard and as long as me. I started drinking to excess at 5 years old. I quit at 50.

The most correct answer is see a Dr. All of the above is just my two cents.

Thanks.