View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I think something people forget is that excessive rumination and self-esteem issues can also be a symptom of depression at times. With or without drinking. It's worth giving a thought because if that's the case, there are many potentially effective treatments, we don't need to sit and wait in pain for it to go. I'm not even necessarily talking about professional treatments but the lifestyle adjustments, e.g. exercise, mentioned above. For me, the only thing I can truly associate with obsessive rumination and self-flagellation from my past was a single major depressive episode quite a few years ago, much more that than drinking itself or early sobriety. It did coincide with my worst drinking ever (no attempts to get sober during that time), that's common, also depressive symptoms surfacing in early recovery. Just something to consider, because sometimes this can be the manifestation of physiological states, which create the mood states that we then project into whatever events and wrongs experienced. It is often very similar with anxiety, and even addiction itself. We often live in false beliefs that they are because of this or that happened, but the more direct cause can be imbalances in the body that can be influenced by our choices and personal lifestyle adjustments, sometimes no need to try to correct past events or focus on regrets, resentments etc. All the psychological work can help, but sometimes correcting the more direct physiological states (can also be nutrition and other things) is much more effective and faster.