Thread: Day 5 - pain
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I do want to quit completely biminiblue it's just that in the past - the last 30 years - I have stopped many times - pledging never again - and failed. I suppose I cant face disappointing myself again - in my mind I have quit for good - but I fear, I suppose, failure.
You've come up with a plan to fail, rather than a plan to stop. You want to quit, but your plan is to do what you've always done, which puts you right where you are, which is the same place you have always been. You have got nowhere with that plan.

You want to quit, but you are committing to repeated failure, because you don't want to be disappointed when you fail again (your words). I suppose you can then say, "I didn't want to stop anyway. Therefore, I didn't fail." But all you've done is earned the booby prize.

Maybe you don't want to quit, but still have the desire to quit, the common dilemma for all of us in the beginning. I understand that, but the hard truth is that abstinence is the only way you can avoid the failure of repeated failure. Not quitting, your preferred option, only reinforces your alcoholism and keeps your trapped, even if your plan is to only drink on Fridays. Most all of us have been there. I've been there. I will tell you that even after I sobered up for several months, I believed that if I could have limited my drinking to Friday and Saturday, I never would have sought help. Now that I know what sobriety is like, I would not trade what I have for all the booze in Kentucky.

Consider the plan of never drinking, but you must include more in the plan. Decide what actions you will take to make that happen. The short version of the plan to never drink again, is not enough. You need to know how you are going to do that.