Thread: Sobriety
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I didn't keep as detailed a time line as that, but I do remember that person in my past. I know it was me, because it's my memory of me. Yet it seems like a completely different person doing things that are foreign to my nature. Still, I ask myself sometimes, who was that person?

About the time I got over my cravings in the first couple of weeks, I was delighted. I no longer struggled with my alcoholism, aside from thoughts of alcohol in the form of my AV, which I laughed off. I did struggle with other life issues that were unrelated to my drinking. But during that first year and afterwards, I didn't realize that life would become as simple as it is today. I was aware that my drinking days were over, and never lost my gratitude for that. But the rest of the transition was too slow for me to be aware of at the time.

You are in a good place with "The HELL I was in 7 months ago is far removed from my life. I am raising my life condition and am hopeful. If I think about the place I was in 7 months ago tears come to my eyes. It was dark and scary and I had intrusive thoughts. I cannot live there. That place is not meant for me."

It's a part of recovery. You never want to go back to that place, and I don't believe you will. You have tasted the good life, and anything less will not be as satisfying. Just enjoy, and 20 years from now, I'm thinking you will be surprised to find out it gets even better.